Violent Confrontation May Be Involved
The Putnam County Sheriff’s Department is reporting the investigation of a Scott Depot woman’s death after hospital officials say she had serious internal injuries.
However, no arrest is being announced.
Joni Haynes, 37, died after she was found in the Teays Villa housing complex, Monday night.
Following is a news release by Putnam County Sheriff Stephen L. “Steve” Deweese:
“On September 18, 2017 at approximately 8:58 p.m. deputies responded to a residence in Scott Depot for
a reported domestic. Deputies discovered there had been an altercation between Joni Haynes and her
daughter Jona Cowley.
“Joni Haynes was transported by ambulance to a local hospital and then to Charleston General Hospital
where she died from internal injuries.
“No charges have been filed at this time. The investigation is still ongoing.”
Haynes reportedly passed away, Tuesday.
The preliminary cause of death is being reported as a lacerated liver due to blunt force trauma.
In an email response to PutnamCountyNews.com, Deweese provided the following information:
- What is the age of her daughter? 21 YOA Deceased: 37 YOA
- Were there any weapons involved? NO
- Any alcohol or other drugs involved? Toxicology not back yet
- Are you planning to arrest the daughter? No charges at this time, still under investigation.
- Is it possible that, if Haynes was intoxicated that she simply fell and injured herself? We continue to investigate the totality of the situation.
Anyone with information is asked to telephone the Putnam County Sheriff Department’s Crime Unit at 304-586-9846 or the Drug Tip Hotline at 304-586-0263 or TEXT tips to 304-941-2300.